Saturday, September 20, 2008

Intro #2 (cause essay)

There is nothing like the smell of early morning next to a lake. All our gear is packed tightly in the sixteen foot aluminum boat. The 18 horse power motor is running and filling the morning air with exhaust fumes and I am still a little groggy from the lack of sleep the night before. The anticipation of this day made me toss and turn all night, but it’s nothing that a strong cup of instant camp coffee can’t fix. “Five days of fishing and relaxation Sam” “yup” my father law says sitting in his captain’s chair with his hand on the throttle, waiting for me to shove off. I push us out and we begin to move towards the mouth of the canal that drains into the main lake. The sun is just up over the horizon and the yellowish red tint on the water from the sun makes me put on my sunglasses to protect my eyes. As we motor through the narrow canal back and forth avoiding all shallow parts, I can see the lake in the distance for a moment before it is swallowed up buy live and dying pine trees. The lily pads have moved closer to the middle of the canal and there seems to be a little more sweat grass near the shore this year, it won’t be long before the moose are in and around the shore indulging themselves on it. Then we round the corner, there it is, the sun gleams off the surface of the lake like crystals in a window just like it does every year, and I can’t help but think of the small mouth bass that were practically jumping in the boat the year before. As we head across the lake to our campsite that can only be reached by boat, I just sit there taken up by all the beauty and hope that this year on our annual fishing trip will be just as action packed as the years before it. Once again I was not disappointed.

2 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Are you leading into the three reasons the fishing trip was great? If so, end the graf with a preview of those reasons.

Everything you do have here is excellent, wouldn't change a word--it's just a sentence shy of being done.

Swade said...

I will put the resons in before I post my entire essay. thanks