Monday, September 8, 2008

Graph #5

My first acoustic guitar has been a part of me for almost eighteen years. We met for the first time when I was eleven in a back street music shop in Auburn Maine. When I went into the store I picked up all kinds of guitars, and I played every one of them, but not one felt as good as my Contessa. When I strummed her for the first time I not only herd how beautiful her melody was but I could feel it, I could almost see the notes flow from her six brand new stings, it was as if she was singing just to me. My Contessa has been through a lot with me.

My contessa was with me when I drank my first beer, and smoked my first cigarette. My Contessa was there when I kissed my first girl friend and was there when I broke up with her two days later. Young love, it is fun but never lasts. My Contessa was there when I decided to dye my hair green and put every sticky substance known to man in it just to get it to stick straight up. My Contessa stuck with me when I stuck a pickup inside her and hooked it to a distortion pedal, just to beat her and make her scream with feed back from my amp. I realized what I was doing to her so I stopped and used the one of my many electric guitars instead, but not one of them could sound like her. My Contessa was there when my band and I made our first record, and she came with us when we went on tour of the east coast. My Contessa was there when I met my wife, and just because I spent more time with the love of my life, my Contessa never got jealous or ran away. She was there when I was called to be the worship leader in the church I was going to, and for the first time I knew why she and I met, and what we were supposed to do together.

We have come a long way together, and even though I may have neglected her at times she still was there for me when I needed her to cheer me up. I still play her the same but the older she gets the better she sounds. I hope one day I can pass her on to one of my daughters, and she can grow up with them as she has with me.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Nice stuff--you really give this material a fine ride. The ending of graf 2 and the wrap in graf 3 are particularly good.

School's starting a literary magazine and looking for submissions. This might work for the editors (I'm not an editor.) Interested?