Friday, October 3, 2008

Classification Essay

A little bit of brake, push in the clutch, downshift, gas to the floor, turn left and let off the gas, turn right and gas to the floor, E-Brake and feather the gas, E-brake off, turn left feather the gas, turn right, down shift, steady pressure on the gas and thank God he kept my car on the road once again. Driving in winter storms in Maine always keeps me on my toes and looking for the softest snow bank put my car in if needed, so far I have not had to, but I know it is coming. There are really only three types of storms that make me nervous. The typical snowstorm, sleet and freezing rain, and the storm that everyone loves to hate, the Noreastah!! Every one of them can challenge even the most experienced driver, and I thought after growing up in Maine, and driving in all types of storms and weather I was experienced enough, but every year I get humbled by one of these storms, and on bad years all three.

Now the typical snowstorm can be very beautiful, especially at night. I remember being a kid and imagining I was in the Star Wars movie and I was traveling through space to save the princess from Darth Vader, who am kidding I still do that. But when driving in one, there is danger around every corner. For me the biggest danger in a typical snowstorm are the other drivers on the road with me. Most people take it easy, but there are a few that think a little snow is no big deal because it has not yet stuck to the road. Last year I saw a 4x4 SUV pass me on the road only to go over a bridge and lose control because the bridge had frozen over. Some drivers still think they can take corners the same speed as they do when it is not snowing, I don’t know how many people I have seen go around a corner on the wrong side of the road and into the ditch, and I think some people just cannot drive at all in rain, snow, or sunshine.

With sleet and freezing rain there are many things that make my drive even longer then it all ready is. Well for starters it is hard to get the windshield clear except for a small opening in the bottom left corner or on the passenger’s side. If I don’t use my wipers the stuff freezes to my windshield and when I do use them it just kinds of spreads all over my windshield and freezes up. I have found finding the perfect mix of hot and cool air on the windshield makes driving much easier. Depending on the mix ratio of sleet and freezing rain determines how I will navigate home. More sleet then freezing rain means there is a lot of slush, so I will keep my car in fourth gear and try to stay near the middle of the road to anticipate the pull from a big pile of slush, and keep the gas at one constant pressure. More freezing rain then sleet, then I just grip the steering wheel tightly, go slow, and turn the radio up nice and load, because there is really nothing I can do but if the radio is loud there is a chance there will be a good song on when I go spinning out of control.

Now for the Noreastah, that has to be my favorite. The blowing snow, unplowed roads, snow drifts and white outs make my hour ride extra extra long. 15 miles of my drive is on the turn pike heading north and the other 35 are all back roads. Blowing snow usually isn’t too bad unless I get the hundred pounds that fell from a tree, that always jumps the crap out of me. Whiteouts are the worst. There are many nights on the turnpike when the only way I know what side of the road I am on is by what tire hits the rumble strip. The scariest times is when not being able the see two feet in front of me then the wind and snow blow a different way and I see that three feet in front of me is a trailer truck that I have been behind for the last ten miles, that will put anyone’s heart in their throat. I just love hitting a four foot snow drift, I can go from 45 mph to 15 mph in one second. I am not sure why some towns wait so long to plow the roads, there are some nights the snow is so deep that I end up plowing the road myself, and I travel mostly State roads, but for the most part the State truck do a very good job.

Needless to say my drive home is adventurous enough without throwing in some kind of snow storm. With danger around every corner or from the oncoming traffic, and behind every Big Rig, it’s just a matter of time that certain doom will fall upon me and I kiss a snow bank, a tree, or the worst of all another car. So every year around the first week in December I put my studded snow tires on my little Hyundai accent and load the back of the car with my Carhart insulated bibs, Carhart insulated jacket, my -70 degree boots, -30 degree gloves (the boots are nice and warn but the gloves are not) my thick wool hat, a wool ski mask, and a flashlight so I will be well prepared for a walk home in a storm 1:00 in the morning. Every trip I take in a storm, there is a chance that I will go off the road, but I learn from experience as well as mistakes, and so far I have not seen what inside a snow bank looks like, and with my wife and kids praying when they go to bed for me to return home safely, I hope I never will.

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Nice, glad to take it, clear, organized, detailed, has a real voice. But I just have no idea what you're doing in your car in the first half of the first graf--donuts? Powerslides?

Swade said...

Regaining control of my car after losing it in one of the many snowstorms. That happens at least four or five times a year, maybe someday I will learn and drive under 45 mph in snowstorms

johngoldfine said...

Oh geez....