Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Practice final essay

I know in my life I have realized some of life’s hard truths the hard way, the problem is I always like to try things twice and expect a different result, I think that is the definition of being insane. Luckily I do learn from mistakes and I try something different. I am only twenty eight, but I have experience many, many hard truths, and what I found was life’s hard truths can be put into three categories depending on the life lesson that come with it. There is stage one, which is all the lies, fairy tales, that your parents told me when I was kid. Stage two is all the fifteen to twenty one year old truths, as a young adult I learned the world was not as it seemed. Stage three makes up for the rest of the years I will be on this earth, and being twenty eight I think I have not yet experienced them all, but I have had a few.

Stage one is the lies, lies, lies. Santa is not real, nor is the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, and never never land is not a place for a kid. My parents were cruel to me, and I think my grandmother was the worst. I know everyone has been told that if you make faces then they will stick, well thats not true, I tried. Put a coat and hat on when I go outside or I will catch a death of cold, not true I am still sitting here typing this essay. I think the biggest lie or “hard truth” was what my grandmother told me. We had a cat, and I wanted some baby kittens, and my grandmother told me if I put pussywillows under the woodstove then there will be kittens there the next morning. So I put those soft buds under the stove and got up the next morning, but there was nothing there but my grandmother told it might take a couple of days. So the next morning there was nothing, and then the next morning I had four little kittens under the stove, I was so excited that it worked. What my grandmother knew was our cat was pregnant and was due any day and it was just a matter of time, and she even took out the pussywillows before I got up. I did not realize that my grandmother set me up until a year later I tried it again, and all she did was laugh and try to tell me the entire story, it took a while because she was laughing so hard.

Stage two is the rude awakening. From fifteen to twenty one is when I realized that the world is much bigger than I ever thought it was which is one of the biggest hard truths alone. I learned about war when desert stormed started and what happens in war, and saw on the TV all the destruction that came with, all though I did not learn the significance of what our fighting men and women were doing until later in my twenties, I saw what war was . I got my license and got to feel the freedom of the open road, and also got to feel what it is like when a police officer pulls me over and is practically yelling at me because I was going so fast, 79 in 25 mph zone they seem to get a little mad. I also realized what the value of money was and why I needed it. My dad told me when I was fourteen, that if I wanted anything then I need to get a job and buy it for myself. So at 4:00 every day after school, and after going to my friends house for band practice I would head to the store that I worked at and I would pump gas until 7:00. I remember all of my band members would get mad that I had to leave and go to work, and they would tell me to just call in, so another hard truth I learned was some people are spoiled rotten. Their parents gave them a car, and money to put gas in it, they bought them all there band equipment, and all their music that they wanted to buy. Something I realize now was my father gave me the hard truth of life very early, and for that I thank him, because that is why I am who I am today.

Stage three never ends. Adult hood comes with many challenges that go on and on until I die. One of the hard truths that I have seen being 28, is I am not 18 anymore. I can’t work all day long from sun up to sun down without being sore the next day. My back always hurts, my feet hurt, I can’t hear as well, and I can’t see as well either. Another hard truth is I can’t just worry about me, myself and I any more, I need to take care of my wife and little girl number one and little girl number two, and I come last or not at all. It is very strange having three people depend on me for everything, I still wonder how my dad did with six of us. The hard truth is I can’t fail because it doesn’t just affect me. I have started a family and I have to take care of my family at all cost. I think this stage will never end, I will just get better at realizing what the hard truths are before they happen.

Hard truths come in all shapes and sizes, kinds, types, and severity. Some are fun, and some are not at all. Some are innocent, and some are just full of hate, and destruction. But no matter what hard truth comes my way, I will take each truth, one on one and learn. The biggest hard truth of life I have all ready realized, and that is I am going to die some day. The question is where am I going after I do die? I now know where I am going, and all of life’s hard truths, and challenges seem to be easier than ever before.

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

First half of the firstgraf is just wheelspinning. The piece really begins here: "I am only twenty eight..." Gotta go back and clean that stuff out in writing.

Grafs 2/3/4 are primo writing and material, and you still have juice left for the close. Glad to take it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should sit down with Jane and have a nut sack salad sandwich.

Anonymous said...

Fuck Janes Titties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!