Friday, November 7, 2008

Effect Essay

My wife and I had been living in our new house for about six months. I had just bought a new car so I would have reliable transportation for the hour ride to work, and all of our bills in a new house were flowing in with all the hookup fees still attached because I had not been able to pay the full amount. I knew they were coming, and I had given up being home with my wife and one year old daughter to work some over time to pay for the bills and get a bunch extra stuff for the house. I got my paycheck and we added all our bills up, and after all was said and done I only had an extra $20. I was so mad, I had never been that mad before, only $20 extra out of all the over time I put in, I just wanted to scream and hit something like the wall real hard. My wife tried to comfort me, but I was so mad, I left for work early without even saying good bye. On the way to work I was going over all the things I could do to get some extra money, and complaining to myself about all that hard work for $20 extra. I calmed down a little and began to pray, actually it was more like complaining to god about the situation he let me get in. And then it happened and it was almost like a voice whispering in my ear and the voice said “you’re welcome” Those two words have had an effect on my life more than any two words can, it not only changed the way I think about money, they have almost ceased all my worries, and have strengthen my faith.

“You’re welcome” After I heard those words I started to think about it, God not only paid all my bills plus paid the unexpected bills, put food on the table, and gave me an extra $20 to spend on whatever I wanted. Money is no longer something I stress out about anymore, and over the past 5 years of living in my house I have not had to. Over the past 5 years as my bills increased God moved me through the ranks where I work, and as I moved up so did my pay. There were many times I was not sure if I was going to have enough money for oil, but I did not worry about it and trusted God to provide me with what I needed, and he always did. So for the rest of my life I think I will let God pay all my bills and focus on other stuff like being a better dad to my kids.

“You’re welcome” Took every worry away I had. I am no longer worried about my car breaking down and I won’t be able to get to work. I am no longer worried that something will break in my house like my furnace, or hot water heater. I at one time I could not sleep because I worried about things that were out of my control. I felt sick and tired all the time, and my gut hurt to the point I almost went to the E.R. Then I heard those words and it was like 2tons of wool blankets just fell off my shoulders and I could stand up straight again. All my gut pains went away, and I started to sleep again, and I could get through the day without wanting to curl up in corner and go to sleep or scream.

“You’re welcome” made me realize the power God has over everything. I began to read my Bible more, and every where I looked, God said he would take care of me, I just cannot believe I did not see it before. Those two little words did more for my faith then any words any pastor can teach or preach on Sunday. I have no doubt that those two words came straight from God, into my ears and it made me realize with all the things going on in the world and all the people that are on this planet, God still find time to make sure I have everything I need. And all I need to do is trust in him to give me the ability to work and have the skills and the know how to fix and do things that need to be done, and have faith and trust that he will be there to help every step of the way.

Two little words have made me the man I am today, and I would not change a thing. I am not perfect and I do a lot of things that make God disappointed in me. I don’t read my bible as much as I should, I get caught up in the busy world that I live in and forget to appreciate the little things that he does, and I don’t even stop to thank him for it all. I could be a much better husband then I am and I could be a better Dad to my kids. After writing the last three paragraph I realized the reason I could be a much better husband and Dad, is because out of all the things I have asked, and god has done for me, I have yet to ask him to help me with all of the other stuff, that might seem little to me but it is all the same to God and I know he is just waiting for me to ask. So I don’t care what happens around me because “as for me and my house we will serve the lord” Joshua 24:15

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Nice piece--hard to do testimony and witness without it sounding preachy, self-righteous, smarmy, or like a million other people, but you avoid all of those traps and keep your focus and your individuality throughout. Glad to take it.